Incompetent Cervix is when the cervix dilates prematurely. It normally occurs in the 4th month of pregnancy. This patient will have a history of repeated, painless, 2nd trimester miscarriages.
Most people have a miscarriage in the 1st trimester, but this patient gets through the 1st trimester, no problem, but once they reach the 2nd trimester they have a miscarriage. Why? Because the baby is putting on some weight and begins pressing down on the cervix, causing it to dilate.
A string [cerclage] can be placed around the cervix around 14-18 weeks to help reinforce it. Mom’s have an 80-90% chance of caring their baby to term.
- vdoming931 reblogged this from rightatrium
- kati-r0se likes this
- zlotus reblogged this from rightatrium
- nola70124 likes this
- kati-r0se reblogged this from rightatrium and added:
- threeangelsisenough likes this
- bloopz likes this
- nancyattacks reblogged this from rightatrium
- nursefocker reblogged this from rightatrium
- rightatrium posted this